HJATheForest: Sam Schmieding identified storage areas in the Corvallis U.S. Forest Service Forestry Sciences Laboratory (FSL), Richardson Hall (OSU), and the HJA headquarters site for records of the Andrews Forest. He assembled, organized, and inventoried these records and placed them in acid-free boxes which contain documents explaining their content. The organization process included creating an outline of the organizational scheme (22 p) and full inventory documentation (ca 1500 p). The boxes (ca. 105) were placed in “The Vault” (Room 291), and Room 347 in the FSL. Some records in the inventory are retained in the files of the LTER administrative assistant (Richardson) for on-going program management and others at the HJA headquarters site for on-going site management.
HJATheMan: Sam Schmieding visited the Keiser, OR, home of Carolyn Haley, granddaughter of H.J. Andrews, who has kept a collection of his papers passed to her by H.J. Andrews’ daughter Virginia Andrews Burns (now deceased), and made digital copies of documents, including some photographs, which span much of his life.
The Andrews Forest History Project was undertaken in 2013 to locate, organize, inventory, and archive the program records for the purposes of supporting site and research administration, and also to support future history scholarship concerning program and site administration, education, science-management partnership activities, and other matters. The HJATheForest digital collection is also intended to support on-going site and program administration, including serving as a repository for the continuing accession of records from program administration, such as renewal and new proposals; their reviews, reports, and other documentation; monthly meeting notes; newsletters; and other materials. The HJATheMan and Oral History collections are intended to support future history scholarship.
HJATheForest: Some records are recurring (e.g., monthly meeting notes, monitoring records-reports, newsletters, LTER renewal proposals/review documents), but much of the material has had an irregular history of production.
HJATheMan: The records of the family were produced with irregular timing in their range from 1910 to the 1960s.
The full physical collection includes reports, memos, proposals, correspondence, raw data records, maps, photographs, field notebooks, and other materials produced in the course of management of research and site administration by both Forest Service and university personnel (OSU/other institutions) dating from establishment of the experimental forest in 1948 (then named the Blue River Experimental Forest) through the present. These are not the observational data resulting from the research experiments and monitoring of the environment, such as meteorological and gauging station data; those records are filed elsewhere in FSDB. The physical collection is archived in the U.S. Forest Service’s Forestry Sciences Laboratory, 3200 Jefferson Way, Corvallis, OR.